Recipe, Sweets + Snacks
Recipe & Video: Dorayaki (Red Bean Pancake)
March 30, 2021 3 min read
If you are looking to make something traditional, you’ve come to the right place! Dorayaki is one of Japan’s most beloved wagashi. You don’t have to go to Japan to enjoy this sweet. You can easily make it at home! Read on to learn how to make this delicious snack.
As prominent in Japanese popular culture, dorayaki is one of the most popular Japanese sweets. It’s a sweet red bean paste sandwiched in between chewy honey pancakes that go really well with a good cup of green tea. Red bean paste is the typical fillings for the sweet. Still, you can find many varieties of dorayaki in Japan, from traditional fillings like matcha cream or kuromitsu (dark sugar) cream to modern fillings like whipped cream, chocolate, and sometimes ice cream fillings!
homemade red bean paste if you’d like to make your own red bean paste. To make it is a bit of a time-consuming project, but it’ll definitely be worth the effort for sure! Follow the recipe here to learn how to make both chunky and smooth red bean paste.
- Dorayaki batter is more liquidy compared to regular pancake batter. Don’t worry if your batter looks too
- You can double the recipe and make bigger dorayaki if you’d like.
- Try different kinds of fillings like whipped cream or matcha cream. You can even add a bit of whipped cream to the red bean paste to make a red bean whipped cream.
- 1 cup Flour
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1 tsp Soy Suace
- 1 tsp Mirin
- 2 tsp Honey
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- Plenty of Red Bean Paste (Sold in bag or can)
- Break eggs in a bowl and mix well.
- Add milk, soy sauce, mirin, and honey to the egg and mix well.
- Sift in flour & baking powder into the mixture and mix with silicone spatula. Add sugar and mix more.
- Heat the frying pan over medium heat.
- Pour the batter onto the pan. It should be about the size of a cup coaster. No oil needed.
- Once you see small bubbles on top of the pancake, flip over and cook the other side. Make about 10 small pancakes. Cool them down.
- Once cooled down, make a sandwich with two pancakes, with plenty of red bean paste in the middle.